After a three day grueling film shoot, I realised I still had the camera for one more day. I couldn't let it go to waste... I came up with this little idea and set off with my co-producer Chris Daniels and Unit manager Brad Armel, to find a place to film it.
Luckily we didn't have to go far. I found a fairly bare looking field with one great looking tree in the middle and a wonky windmill in the background. It couldn't have been more perfect. Brad operated the camera, while Chris and myself got into character.
About two hours later and I was pretty sure we had all the footage I needed.
Unfortunately, post-production wasn't that quick. A number of other jobs got in the way and it was a good six months before I got the project finished.
The was shot on the Sony HVR-Z1 HDV camera. I loved almost everything about the camera except the format. HDV is truly a terrible format if you want to apply visual effects and heavy colour grades to the footage. It just doesn't hold up with all the compression that is on it. Oh well, I managed to save both this and the other project I was shooting at the time.